Friday 24 March 2017

A CLIL educational project: "Namasté!"

Hi inno-teachers!


Today I want to share with you the prototype of my CLIL educational project. Hereafter, I would like to explain to you the whole process that I have followed for creating this project prototype, "Namasté!".

Before starting with the planification of the prototype, I decided to create a handwritten outline in order to organise my ideas. Once I knew that I wanted to focus my project on History for sixth graders, I started to imagine a motivating topic for the students. After thinking on it very carefully, I decided to center my CLIL educational project on the Indian culture. I strongly believe that the different cultures around the world are a very uplifting topic for the pupils since they can learn the main characteristics of any society that they have probably seen before, for instance, in films. 

I decided the title of my project, Namasté! (a respectful form of greeting in India), and I started to plan it: the number of sessions, the students' roles, the aims, the key competences, the evaluation tools... And, the most important decission, the final outcome. Once I had completed my outline, I copied the information in a template provided by my ICT teacher.

Here you can take a look of my outline, and, if you think that there is something that can be improved, just let me know! Although this is just a prototype that can be modified depending on several factors, I am very satisfied with it.




Before submitting the video that I have created in order to present my CLIL educational project, I would like to clarify some aspects in connection to the prototype of my project.

  • Students' role: I have decided to foster different groupings in the activities that I have created for the project: individual work, peer work, group work and the whole class. I consider that it is necessary to carry out activities where the pupils can collaborate among them. Moreover, in groups activities, each student will acquiere a role (manager, spokesperson, writer and so on). 
  • 4 Cs of CLIL: The 4Cs of CLIL are: content, communication, cognition and culture. It is very important no to forget them when implementing the project.
  • Final outcome: The final outcome that the students will do is a video. They will record themselves (in groups) and they will act a role-play situation including some characteristic features of the Indian culture such as the gastronomy, the clothes, the dances and the music...
  • Rubric (evaluation): Finally, I want to add that I have created a rubric to evaluate the students. I have uploaded it to Slideshare and you can access to it by clicking here.
Here you have the video that introduces my educational project:

(Video references at the bottom of the entry)

And, as ever, before finishing this post, I would like to reflect on the learning that I have acquired thanks to this activity. By doing this project, I have learnt that ICT are a good resource in order to make a meaningful project for the students. Digital outcomes are a motivating way of keeping children attention and, despite it can be difficult to implement it on a traditional classroom, we should make it more visible.

Moreover, thanks to this challenge, I have used the Movie Maker program to create the video. Firstly, I wanted to try other programs or applications for creating videos, but, as the vast majority of them offer few free templates, I decided to work with Movie Maker. I have used the program many times due to the fact that it is very easy and intuictive to use.

For uploading the project template, I have used Slideshare, because I have decided to keep all my teaching papers in the same platform, in my Slideshare account.

I hope you enjoy my video presentation and the whole educational projet!

See you soon, inno-teachers!

(Video references:
Nitin Das (2016). India in 5 minutes. Recovered from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okz8kDDCoTA 

ARRamhanVEVO (2009) A.R. Rahman, The Pussycat Dolls- Jai Ho. Recovered from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5OyXmHD0w

Junxia Chen (2012) Indian Dance from Movie. Recovered from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI2nvoHmoTw

BuzzFeedVideo (2016) Iconic Indian Bridal Styles. Recovered from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlB2hJXHP_4&t=9s

The food ranger (2016). Indian Street Food tour in Mumbai. Recovered from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltUDZD1vgxQ)

12 comments:

  1. Hello Ana!!! I really like the topic of your educational project, it is very original. I think it is a very interesting topic to be treated with students. Besides, your learning goals are very well explained and adequate, but I would like to know more about the process you will carry out in order to reach the final outcome.
    Regarding your methodology and assessment, it is very nice that you work on many competences through an active and fun manner, which is creating a video about India. Your assessment is also very well explained.
    Moreover, you have also taken into account the 4 C´s that are very important, and I see it is very complete.
    Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ! I definitely like the topic you chose for your open education project, as well as the template, since it is an appealing and meaningful way of approaching history.

    Besides, something that I would like to highlight is the fact that you included dances and music in the cultural part, since many times these things are not taken into account.

    Furthermore, from my point of view, the rubric for the evaluation is very complete and I like the terminology used.

    All in all, very good job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucía! Thank you for your comment! I was waiting for your opinion! See you in class :)

      Delete
  3. I have to begin by saying that your video was great, Ana! I really like the topic of your Open Educational Project! Moreover,your prototype is clear and realistic, in what your aims, outcomes and methodology is concerned. In addition, you explained very well the relationship between the 4 Cs of CLIL and you related them to each other. The language used throughout the sessions is adequate for 6th graders and from my point of view it is a prototype that can be easily used in the real primary classroom!
    Furthermore, the dissemination means are clear and you explained in detail and in a coherent way the assessment criteria used throughout the project.
    I really enjoyed your post and the rubric you created is really complete!
    I can't wait to read more of your posts!^^
    Great job Ana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Rebeca! Thank you so much for your comment! I have also enjoyed your work! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow Ana! Spectacular, fantastic and so good! In my opinion, your prototype is awesome because just the topic is different! And I find so necessary children learn about different cultures in order to respect everybody. About the learning goals,contents, methodology and so on,I could not have done it better! Well done and congratulations! I would like to use your ideas. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Carmen! Thank you for sharing your opinion. It was great to know it! See you in class! :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Ana I truly think Carmen Olmedo definetely loved your project eheheh. First of all the name of the project is captivating, I love it. It is one of the most difficult subjects to face trhough clil approach but you really surprised me. By the way, the school where I did my intership is planning to create an indian week so maybe your clil proect can be useful for them. Just let me know when you finish your porject I think they would need some fresh ideas.

    Thanks for your prototype!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Raúl! Thank you for sharing your view! It would be great if your school can see my project and they can apply some of my ideas. Don't doubt on asking me if they need help!
      See you in class! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Ana, I definitely agree with you Raul haha. I also think it is a very interesting topic to work with students. I liked the way you have explained the whole proccess, it makes it clear for readers. Moreover, one of the thing I like the most about your post is the video presentation, it is extremely eye-catching.

    Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dani! Thank you for your comment! It was great to know your opinion. I will check your work in a minute, I'm sure you have done a great job!
      See you! :)

      Delete